Citizens of El Salvador To Receive $30 in Bitcoin as the Law Will be Implemented In September
The President of El Salvador Nayib Bukele has announced that bitcoin’s legal tender status will take effect in the country on September 7th, 2021. In addition, the government will give El Salvadoran citizens $30 worth of bitcoin.
- Bukele made the statement during a national address on Friday (June 25th, 2021). The El Savaldoran President’s announcement comes after the country’s supermajority voted in favor of his Bitcoin plan to make the largest cryptocurrency the country’s second legal tender earlier in June.
- Apart from the news of the Bitcoin law taking effect, President Bukele also revealed the creation of a new BTC wallet called Chivo.
- According to him, every adult who signs up on the wallet will receive $30 worth of bitcoin. This effort could encourage increased adoption of the cryptocurrency.
- Earlier, El Salvador’s President said that individuals who invest 3 BTC into the country’s economy would be awarded citizenship.
- Although the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) are not in support of the Central American country’s bitcoin adoption, the latest developments indicate that El Salvador is not going to give up its plans.
- President Bukele’s plan has also faced opposition within the country. Some members of the Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN), one of El Salvador’s major political parties, called the Bitcoin Law illegal, adding that it was harmful and was also designed to loot the people’s pockets.
- However, the President, in his recent address, refuted the claims, stating that bitcoin will instead benefit the people and move the country forward.
Featured Image Courtesy of Reuters